Patenting Tips and Resources
Tips Before You Get Started from the USPTO
Patent searching is complex and time consuming and can be challenging to learn. It is important to understand that the average patentability search takes 25-30 hours! Keep in mind that patent depository libraries cannot offer legal advice.
Patent Libraries are prohibited from offering anything that amounts to legal advice about the patenting procedure. This means we cannot:
• Speculate about your likelihood of obtaining a patent
• Tell you whether or not you should enlist the services of a lawyer, patent agent, or private company
• Do any part of your patentability search or give opinions about whether or not you have conducted a comprehensive search
• Estimate costs for you
• Discuss or speculate about the marketability of your invention.
- Public Patent Search Facility in Alexandria, VA The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) Public Search Facility located in Alexandria, VA provides public access to patent and trademark information in a variety of formats including on-line, microfilm, and print. Trained staff are available to assist public users.
University of Washington School of Law Entrepreneurial Law Clinic
- The ELC teams law and business students with pro bono attorneys and business advisors. Together they provide critical early stage legal and business counseling to technology entrepreneurs, small business owners, social entrepreneurs and nonprofits.